If you’re wondering “How do I know what my dream is?” or you keep telling yourself you don’t know what to do with your life, you’re not alone. In this post, I share with you 15 journaling prompts to discover your dreams.
Most of us don’t know either or it takes us years to uncover our true dreams and ultimate goals in life.
I say this because it happened to me as well.
I know how it feels like to want to do something valuable and knowing you have the necessary stamina to work hard and smart, but, at the same time, not knowing what to work for.
And if you don’t know what you’re looking for… how are you going to find it?!
I keep talking and talking about how to achieve your biggest dreams and goals, how to design your life to reach your dreams, and how to live your dream life, but what if you don’t know how that dream life looks like?
If you don’t know what you want in life, what are you going to do with yourself apart from letting life drift away day after day?If you don't know what you want in life, what are you going to do with yourself apart from letting life drift away day after day? Click To Tweet
That’s so frustrating, right? It sucks.
However, there’s no need to worry.
I’ve got you covered.
I know exactly what you need to do to start uncovering and discovering those dreams. This is something I wish I’d done earlier:
Journaling. With specific prompts.
That’s why I’ve made a list of the questions and prompts I’ve thought about in the last few years that have led me to reveal my biggest desires in life.
I’ve put myself in my younger self’s shoes to help you ask yourself the right questions.
These are the questions I’ve thought about in the last few years that have helped me see through myself and uncover what I want to work for.These are the questions I've thought about in the last few years that have helped me see through myself and uncover what I want to work for. Click To Tweet
I’m sure you’ll find them valuable as well!
Before you start your journaling sessions
You can jump to the journaling exercises if you want, of course! That’s up to you.
But if you want to dig a little more before you start thinking and writing about this deep stuff, you can start by prepping yourself.
If you feel you don’t know yourself enough yet or you don’t know what your real passion is, I recommend you check this post about 25 Solid Steps To Find What You Really Love To Do.
Then, do your research and get inspired:
- Make a list of people you admire
- Make a list of people whose lives seem interesting to you
- Read nonfiction books
- Watch youtube videos about other people’s jobs, professions, and lives.
All this will help you get your juices flowing. It’ll give you a ton of ideas and factors to consider and think about while journaling to discover your dreams.
This will also help you find patterns and connect the dots at the end.
15 Journaling Prompts To Discover Your Dreams
Now, I wouldn’t go ahead and answer all these questions in a single sitting.
Instead, I recommend you to set a time of the day (around 20-30 minutes a day minimum) to sit down with your journal, think about all these questions and write down your ideas.
Ideally, you’ll want to take a whole two weeks to answer these questions one by one, day after day.
Have fun! 🙂 🎈
- How far do you feel/think you are from living your dream? Just trust your gut. Is this the life you’ve been waiting for? Would you mind living like this forever? Why? Or why not?
- If a dream life feels too far away, what are the things you dislike the most about your current life?
- Why do you dislike them? are those things permanent? are they present in every single person’s life? Or can you change them?
- What can you do to change those things, improve them, or make them more enjoyable for you?
- How would your life be if money wasn’t an issue?
- In which areas would it be different? (housing, city of residence, job, relationships, money, health, looks, hobbies, mindset, knowledge, skills, etc)
- How would they be different? What would you have more of? What would you have less of?
- When you think about “the ultimate dream life”, what’s the first thing that comes to your mind? Close your eyes and then make a list of all the aspects of that life.
- What would make your life perfect according to YOU? Forget about society’s norms and what others expect from you.
- Make a list of all the things you’ve wanted to do throughout your life and select the ones you identify the most with.
- Describe your dream home.
- Describe your perfect day in length. Think about things like: How does your bedroom look like? What do you do first thing in the morning? What do you have for breakfast? Who do you live with? What do you do for a living?
- List your top 5 passions
- List at least 3 famous people you’d like to surround yourself with. Why do you want that? What do they have in common? What kind of value could they add to your life?
- Make a comparison between your current life and your dream life. Describe in detail how different or how similar they are.
To discover your dreams is a huge deal. But it doesn’t end there.
Now it’s time to start planning and working towards those dreams, right?
To start, check out this post about The Ultimate Step-by-step Guide to Design your Entire Life.
That post will give you a solid foundation to turn your dreams into projects so you can start organizing your steps and taking action.
If you have questions, don’t hesitate to contact me 🙂